Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Spam (or, how to buy Cheap Korean Cellphones :-)

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 08:32:39 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Rod Gilchrist wrote:

Anyway, not a huge problem there. That's what smtp authentication
is for. Send your mail via the other domain's smtp proxy (from the
outside)
and have them sign it. In order to do so you need a valid user ID and
password.

So, now you're requiring domains that don't normally allow 3rd party relay
to enable it to allow their customers to continue to use their primary
e-mail domain?

If they don't have a policy that involves them knowing who is sending
mail through their smtp gateway and ensuring that none of the
authorized users behave like spammers, their reputation gets mucked up.

Yet, if they have a policy that allows relay for their own IPs, you're
suddenly opening up an authentication scheme and worse-yet authentication
credentials to external attack.

I really don't believe that forcing authentication credentials is the
answer- we are, after all taking about home users where there are already
*hundreds of thousands* of compromised machines.  Putting credentials on
compromised machines compromises the credentials.  Requiring more
credentials to be distributed and more authentication mechanisms to be
exposed does not raise the net security of the Net.

I'd really rather not replace an exploited infrastructure with an
exploitable infrastructure.

Paul