Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Defense in Depth to the Desktop

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:46:41 +0000

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy Chris Pugrud a következőeket írta:
It is interesting to note that what you propose can be viewed as an
example of the Bell-LaPadula modell with two security levels.

This was recently pointed out to me, and I will be framing my academic writeup
more along those lines.  It would be more helpful if I can frame it in terms of
Sandhu's SPM because of the decidable safety properties of SPM.  It also
doesn't hurt that Sandhu is my advisor.  Thinking about the model in those
terms adds to the vocabulary as well as making the analisys more interesting,
but it will take me a few more months to really wrap my head around.

SPM is a new thing to me. I could not find the original paper in
citeseer, but found one with definition of SPM (about undecidability of
safety in SPM with cyclic creates). It seems to be a much more baroque
model than even my version of Bell-LaPadula. I cannot even understand it
for first read. Can you show me a security policy modell of an actual IT
system using SPM?

Also we seem to forget that VLANs are not considered to be dependable
enough to be used as a domain separation mechanism. Or did I sleep while
something revolutionary had happened?

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból