Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Windows ATM (was Re: How to Save The World)

From: Jean-Denis Gorin <jdg_cnce2004 () yahoo fr>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:00:11 +0100 (CET)

Paul D. Robertson wrote:

The last couple of major Windows worms that took
out ATM nets didn't seem to change purchasing one
bit.

Some banking companies have tried to find other kind
of ATM. But... there are now all with some flavors of
Windows (NT, 2000, kind of embeded NT, etc.).
Some bank try to keep their OS/2 ATM with X-25 link
(QoS, security, ...) rather than migrate to Windows
ATM with IP (no QoS, no access control, ...), but it's
a loosing thread!

One more interesting thing: if you put Anti-virus or
firewall software on theses new ATM, their builder
decline responsability... So you have too desgin
complex VPN network trying to insulate ATM networks
from corporate network. Of course, it's a loosing
strategy: some interconnection would no be avoided
(like the ATM admin workstation also connected to the
corporate messaging system).

I think we've gone to tactical fixes rather
than strategic fixes in the IT industry, and the
war is likely lost at this point, but we'll
keep going into those battles...

I got the same feeling :(
More and more consulting people propose Patch
Management solution coupled with Vulnerability
Scanner, and so on...

JDG

--
Reality is that which, when you cease to believe in
it, does not go away.