Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Passwords (was: Stanford break in)

From: Dana Nowell <DanaNowell () cornerstonesoftware com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:16:56 -0400

Disk space is cheap, I can get a 250 GB IDE drive at Best Buy for $180.00
today.  So 4 drives comes to ~1 TB for $800.  Assuming a 'salt' of two
printable characters (old Unix password if I remember correctly) that's
realistically about 10,000 salts in the 'set'.  Assuming a dictionary of
12,000,000 'common passwords' of 8 chars or less (100MB) I can precompute
with the 10,000 'salts' in about 1 TB.  Yeah, 4 250GB drives isn't 1TB
after formatting and there are probably more than 10K 'salts', so maybe
it's a 10M 'password' dictionary.  Now what was that you said about
precompute ;-).

Bottom line: do NOT, repeat, do NOT put ANY confidence in 'salts' saving
your A**.  The best defense is to not be in anyone's dictionary in the
first place.  Pick a password carefully and change it regularly.

Ben Nagy scribbles:

No, you got it pretty much right. I would put it like this - a salt is a
_non-secret_ value. If you don't use a salt then an attacker can precompute
a big file containing the hashes of common passwords. Then, when they get
hold of a particular password hash they can just do a file lookup which is
really really fast (this is probably the simplest example of the "time space
tradeoff" in crypto). Using a salt means that they need to do the same hash
computation, but including the salt - which means they can't precompute, so
it takes longer to crack.

--
Dana Nowell     Cornerstone Software Inc.
Voice: 603-595-7480 Fax: 603-882-7313