Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Stanford break in

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:50:27 +0000

2004-04-23T15:33:10 Stewart, John:
It has always been my opinion that forcing a new password more
often than once a year or so is counter-productive.

Agreed, with one minor wibble: such user-hostile policies can
sometimes be a helpful band-aid for totally broken account removal
procedures; if you've got huge piles of stale accounts, a frequent
automated lockout-if-not-changed can be at least a little help in
limiting the extent of the problem; and stale accounts can be a
worse problem than poor passwords written down on sticky notes.

Other than that, frequent mandatory password changes are detrimental
to security. Better to have the password-changing tool use cracklib,
and offer good random passwords to users who are willing to use
them, and let them keep using them long enough to amortize the
higher cost of learning them.

However, the "conventional wisdom" in the security (and auditor)
world seems to be that frequent password changes should be
required.

This is definitely a problem; there are a _lot_ of senior security
managers and people writing security policies who do not have a
clue, and who think things that piss users off are by definition
good for security. Nothing much to do but outlive these morons, or
change jobs; they cannot be taught, and regard attempts to do so as
personal insults requiring vengeance.

I'm curious how others have handled this.

Ignore it, or leave.

BTW, here's a nice litmus test for so-called "password quality"
rules: how likely are they to reject a password picked purely
uniformly randomly from the printables? If that's anything more than
fantastically unlikely, these quality rules are forcing use of
poorer passwords by limiting the available password space.

I remember a funny from some years ago, a moderately long list of
password quality rules, that ended with a note "the only password
that fits all the above words is ......., you must use it". Wish I
remembered where I saw it, or what the one secure password was.

-Bennett