Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Passwords (was: Stanford break in)

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:39:39 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com] On Behalf
Of Carric Dooley
[...]
Yes. There are password generators that create
'pseudo-english' words, but I think the best system is using
something the user knows/likes, providing it's not obvious
like birhday+daughter's_name... "I like fuzzy bunnie's.."
is a good example.

This is a common scheme, which is good. My personal favourite is to use the
"shocking nonsense" technique (google it) - when combined with the
symbol/number thing it provides passwords that are "strong", very memorable,
and which have the added advantage of being embarassing (which makes users
less likely to disclose them).

Also, are salts a good idea to change the hash in the shadow file?

Absolutely.

Salt would typically be some random factor that affects the
outcome of the hash. [...]

Yup.

I am not a cryptologist, so I'm sure
I sound like an idiot to that crowd

No, you got it pretty much right. I would put it like this - a salt is a
_non-secret_ value. If you don't use a salt then an attacker can precompute
a big file containing the hashes of common passwords. Then, when they get
hold of a particular password hash they can just do a file lookup which is
really really fast (this is probably the simplest example of the "time space
tradeoff" in crypto). Using a salt means that they need to do the same hash
computation, but including the salt - which means they can't precompute, so
it takes longer to crack.

Cheers,

ben