Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall log analysis tools

From: Tina Bird <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:20:05 -0700 (PDT)

bill royds wrote:

What I would really like is a repository of Perl regexes for various log
formats (firewall, router, web server syslog etc.) .
I have a fair library of Perl routines to create reports, but figuring
out the proper regexes to read the logs and generate a hash of values to
analyse is a real pain.

welcome to the wonderful world of log analysis.  the counterpane log
parsing system is regex based, and so a large fraction of the engineering
effort consists (consisted?  i've not been there for a year) of
prioritizing log messages, writing regexes, and testing them in a variety
of ways.  blick.

the closest i've come to building a publicly available library of such
things has been to grab copies of the firewall and IDS "parsing clients"
created as part of the dshield and ARIS (before it went commercial)
collaboration efforts.  i've assumed -- although i haven't had time to
take a look -- that it would be possible to strip out the "parsing" bits
of those things and leverage them to build one big whompin' thing.

there are also a few config files for swatch and logsurfer -- linked to
from the generic parsing tools bit of the loganalysis.org library -- that
are essentially sets of regular expressions.  and of course the config
files in logsentry...

more comments below.