Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall log analysis tools

From: Vladimir Parkhaev <vladimir () arobas net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:43:18 -0400

Quoting Bill Royds (broyds () rogers com):
What I would really like is a repository of Perl regexes for various log
formats (firewall, router, web server syslog etc.) .

Set one up, I'll contribute :)

I have a fair library of Perl routines to create reports, but figuring out
the proper regexes to read the logs and generate a hash of values to analyse
is a real pain.

What is pain for you is fun for me... In reality, report requirements are
different. I like to see simple stats - number of hits from srcIP to
dstIP:port (and timestamps sometimes).  Plain text, short and simple. Some
people like long  HTMLized reports with flashing colors and heavy content.

I like your idea of having repository of regexes, though. This way we
can separate presentation from actual parsing.

May be we can ask Tina for some space under RegExes & Log parsing category of
her webspace. What do you think, Tina?