Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Traceroute

From: Luca Berra <bluca () comedia it>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:03:39 +0200

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:39:48PM -0400, Paul Robertson wrote:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Jim McAtee wrote:

Is it generally considered safe to permit incoming UDP ports 33434+ through the
firewall to enable traceroute to reach destination machines?  Or should it be
do you mean traceroute to internal machines?
limited to a finite range of ports, or not permitted at all?
what do you mean finite: traceroute usually is 33434 - 33463 (due to
most traceroute implementation stopping after 30 hosts)

I wouldn't permit it at all, UDP is too easy to spoof.  In the past, I've
had luck with setting up a traceroute CGI externally for users who just
*had* to have the functionality.  Reporting usage on that script got us
quickly past the next request ;)
actually traceroute to outside destination only requires inbound icmp
(ttl-exceeded and port-unreachable). You just have to forget about state
on traceroute :)))
traceroute to inside should stop at the firewall with a reject.

regards,
L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca () comedia it