Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Traceroute

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:39:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Jim McAtee wrote:

Is it generally considered safe to permit incoming UDP ports 33434+ through the
firewall to enable traceroute to reach destination machines?  Or should it be
limited to a finite range of ports, or not permitted at all?

I wouldn't permit it at all, UDP is too easy to spoof.  In the past, I've
had luck with setting up a traceroute CGI externally for users who just
*had* to have the functionality.  Reporting usage on that script got us
quickly past the next request ;)

Paul