Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Link level security with static arp tables

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:01:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-2] Magosányi Árpád wrote:

...if you do not take security very seriously.
The problem with leap is that it is known broken
and its support is deprecating.

The point still holds, for a switch, doing any sort of 802.1x is likely
"good enough" for most companies.  The ability to authenticate a machine
before it gets connectivity, even with a flawed protocol is likely to be
strong enough to stop both casual abuse and the majority of malicious
intruders.

Of course still better than just dumbly believing in a claimed
identity (MAC address).

MAC latching on the switch port is also likely to be "good enough" for
most places.  Added with 802.1x, it starts to get better.

If real authentication, integrity and confidentality is needed,
I would do IPSEC. Any other (or same) ideas?

I'm not sure that most places do enough host management to ensure key
integrity, and I know most places don't do good key management, so IPSec
is not a magic bullet either.  IPSec is also fairly resource intensive on
the host.

Still, it's a viable alternative, as is a gateway between user segments
and backbones simlar to those found in airports and coffee shops isn't all
that bad an idea (or an authenticating firewall...)

Paul