Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: trusted & untrusted ports

From: "Hilal Hussein" <hilalma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 07:43:25 +0000

Hello List,

Let me clarify some points in my prevous email. YES it is the application which opens a socket to allow connections on certain ports.
So my questions here are :

Q1 - How to identifiy trust vs untrusted ports. As sometimes, users working within our network will ask to open certain ports in the firewall in order to allow communication to a certain application outside the coorporate network. From security prespective, based on what evaluation should i accept or reject opening the requested port(s) ? maybe it will know to be used by hackers, or viruses as a threat.

Q2 - Reading some technical documents about accessing applications over the net, I noticed that sometimes the connection is not a client/server technique, it could be through the http port, in other words, no need to open specific port in order to be able to access the net application from within our network coorporate since it is using the http port.

Hopefully now my points is clearer,

with regards,

Hilal