Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: trusted & untrusted ports

From: "Monkey Boy" <hydra291 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 12:21:54 -0500

Hello Hilal, I am a little confused here. It is the application which opens a socket to respond to a request recieved from a client. . You can configure your f/w to allow connections on certain ports, as well depending on the granularity offered by your firewall, which I believe is what your getting at here. Secondly I don't understand what you mean by trusted vs. untrusted ports? Can you elaborate further please. Thirdly all applications to my knowledge use the client server model of communication.

regards,

Don Parker

Dear List,

I would like to open ports in my firewall so that i can access some applications out of my network. consequently, I have two questions:

1 - How I can Identify trusted ports vs. Untrusted ports ? assuming trust is directly concern with the security prespective (include virus, worms, hack, ...).

2 - corret me from wrong please. "There are two types of applications: web application (access through the http port), and client/server application (access through a defined port should be opened on the internet gateway).

your feedback and respond are highly appreciated.

honeslty, I am getting very good information out of this email list, so hopefully the answers will be benifitial to me and other members will to improve their knowledge base.

regards,

Hilal