Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iptables with ipchains param.

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:38:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Andrew Cook wrote:
I use 2.2 kernel with ipchains and I want to upgrade 2.4 iptables .. I able
to use ipchains.conf for iptables ?? I heard about kernel compiling
parameter for iptables..

Can I use iptables with old ipchains.conf ? Or you know a trick for
compiling ipchains.conf into iptables.conf ????

Hi Andrew -

First off, you might take a look at http://www.netfilter.org/.

Secondly, I think you might find a web search using terms like "ipchains
upgrade iptables" useful.

Also, all of the various linux distributions run mailing lists which
appear to have addressed your concern at various points in time, so an
achive search would be an excellent use of your time.

Beyond that, ipchains and iptables do not use the same configuration
files, so you'd be stuck having to rewrite.

Generally, I'd look at this as a good opportunity to examine your
current configuration, and make sure that it still does what you
want it to do, since we all known that configs tend to get crufty
over time.

cheers!