Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Odd PIX / router behavior

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:59:52 -0500

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to go on-site and put in
place a proper sniffer to determine the nature of the packets.  I
attempted to do this somewhat using the PIX's 'debug packet' feature,
but never saw anything.  I am assuming this is because the packets
aren't TCP/UDP/ICMP, but are instead a routing protocol such as BGP or
EIGRP.  But without a packet capture, I can't be sure.

I was hoping to see what you're seeing (well, only in that it's easily
identifiable), where the apparent source port is 80.  The packets you're
seeing aren't spoofed, but are a result of MS-Blaster or a variant
thereof somewhere behind your firewall.  Refer to the link in my initial
post.  It explains why the traffic appears the way it does on your
firewall.

PaulM