Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cisco VPN client behind a Netscreen

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:45:28 -0500

Aram,

You do not need to create an IPSec policy on the NetScreen for VPN clients that are passing through it.  (The same
would be true if you had a VPN concentrator behind it and users were connecting inbound from the Internet.)

This problem most likely has to do with source port translation being performed by the NetScreen as part of its NAT
rules for outbound traffic.  The PIX will likely complain if the source port of the VPN client connection isn't 500 or
4500 as appropriate and prevent the tunnel from coming all the way up.  The best fix for this is to upgrade the PIX OS
version to a current release and enable the 'isakmp nat-traversal' feature.

However, since you don't have control over the PIX, another solution would be to configure a static NAT (NetScreen
calls this MIP, or Mapped IP?) for just the VPN client workstation's IP address to an otherwise unused IP address on
the firewall's outside subnet.  This should prevent the source port from being modified when making the connection.

Good luck!

PaulM