Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port forwarders - which one is best for HTTPS?

From: Micha? Dobaczewski <michal.dobaczewski () cc com pl>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 10:47:14 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for your answer!

Looking at list, I've used only rinetd. Be aware that when it establishes the redirected connection, it uses its source address rather than that of the original client. In other words, if your client's IP is A, your port-forwarding router is B, and your server is C, your server will see all the connections coming from B. This may or may not be a problem.

We are aware of this problem, but in our situation it is acceptable.

If you're running Linux, you should use IPTables, rather than a user-mode program. IPTables can impose limits on the number of connections per second, which should help prevent DoS'es. See http://netfilter.org/ for details.

In fact we are running Linux, but the forwarding serwer and the HTTPS server are located in completely different networks. We have made an attempt to use IPTables but we failed. It seemed to us, that IPTables is only capable of port forwarding within the local network. If you know how to forward connections to a completely different network then please offer a clue on how to do this or where exactly to look in the documentation, which is pretty large.

Regards,

Michal Dobaczewski.