Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port forwarders - which one is best for HTTPS?

From: stephane nasdrovisky <stephane.nasdrovisky () uniway be>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:46:41 +0200

I know balance (vailable for sun at www.sunfreeware.com as well as sources).
It can redirect a single ip/port to multiple backend servers.
So it does what you want plus load balancing and somewhat-high availability.
We are using it when we move a service from a server to another and wants to
reduce the side effects. It does not consume much cpu power.

Micha³ Dobaczewski wrote:

1) Are any of the above unsafe or known to cause problems or known to
crash under heavy load?

It has never been heavily loaded (the larger usage wedo of it was for
proxy/mail/ldap server for +-500 users), but it never crashed were we used it.

2) Which of the above you think is best?

-The one you know.
-The one with the simplest configuration (balance do not have config file,
every parameter is given through a small command line).

3) Are there any other GPL port forwarders that you could recommend?

4) Are there any general issues with forwarding SSL connections in this
fasion (the certificate will be issued for the forwarding machine's name).

The forwarder should be known (by dns mean) as if it were the backend server
(as far as the certificate is concerned)