Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: sendmail spamming

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:39:12 -0500

Morality? Is that old thing still around? ;-)

If I understand your question correctly, the gain is that the real spammer
is using your web server to generate SPAM and making it look as if your web
server is the real spammer (The real spammer has little risk in being
labeled a "SPAMMER" from the Internet-at-large). It's just a way for a real
spammer to cover his/her tracks and cause your site grief, because *you* now
are at risk of being labeled a "SPAM-generating" site. To the recipient of
such spam, the "from" address is legitimately from your web server. However,
the exploit isn't really your email server, it's the web server <I hope
you're not gonna say you have a web server on the *same* system as your
email gateway :-(  >. The web server legitimately uses the email gateway to
send emails out to the internet, but the web server has been exploited to
allow the intruder to send out emails which are tracked back to "coming from
the web server."

Hope this helps, and that I understood your question correctly.
Jeff