Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' networ k

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:43:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Crispin Cowan wrote:

Some of the best real-time tech support for various open source software
is available through public IRC channels:

Once again, the bulk of small office/home office users don't need this.
[That was the original context, stretching the context to fit the answer
you want is a no go at this station.]

In fact, the bulk of corporate users don't need this.  Given the number of
trojaned hosts on botnets, it's just not a good thing to let IRC out
except under the most controlled circumstances.

When I IRC from work, I do it though a machine that's at a colo, not
directly from my desktop, and I don't lose functionality, but neither
does our firewall.

It's not a game of "Can I possibly come up with a legitimate reason to use
this service?"  It's "Is this risk worth the company taking?"  I again
assert that for 99.9% of companies, the answer is "Heck no!" when it comes
to IRC from the desktop- even in companies where IRC is a necessary part
of the business.

You don't *need* IRC to get support, and you don't *need* to allow access
to #plug_my_product_here by default to every desktop in a corporation.
You don't *need* 6667/tcp from the desktop to get on IRC either.

Several hundred thousand trojaned machines are DDoSing, password guessing,
and causing other mayhem _every_single_day_.  That needs to be *fixed*,
and firewall admins should be part of the solution, not part of the
excuses for not doing better brigade.

Paul