Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Benefit of firewall over NAT-only 'protected' networ k

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:10:09 -0500

What's wrong with irc? It is a good communication tool.

Got a business use for it? Until then, it doesn't matter how good it is, it
doesn't go through the firewall...

Even "out of the box" irc is not more insecure than widely-used ICQ.
I even encourage users to use corporate IRC server as generic
messaging tool. It is far better than using ICQ (with mirabilis servers
usually!) as _really many_ companies that have no own IM system do.

Not an either/or situation in my mind. I don't care if irc is better or
worse than anything else. If I can't come up with a need for it, and I
personally can't, then it should be stopped at the firewall IMO.

NAT presents a false sense of security, and that alone makes it a bad
security choice.

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com