Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: help in firewall

From: "Bruce Smith" <bruce_the_loon () worldonline co za>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:48:35 +0200

This is one of those difficult questions in that personal preferences come
into it. I find Java slow and poorly interfaced, and for something like a
firewall where speed is a major issue, taking a second to filter a packet is
not going to work, I wouldn't use anything other than C/C++ in native form.

As a firewall management interface, it's a brilliant idea. Manager runs
anywhere, any platform as long as a JRE is available. Cisco does it with PDM
and I guess others do.

If you're planning on running on a Unix platform, I know GCC has a Java
compiler that uses Java syntax, but compiles to native binaries.

One last point, if this isn't a commercial project, ie you aren't building a
firewall to sell, but only want one to use for your own site, why go to all
the effort of building a system when you can implement Linux (ipchains etc)
or a FreeBSD with its own ip filtering. Works well enough for the costs.

Regards

Bruce A. Smith
Internet Services Administrator
PE Technikon