Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft ISA

From: "Volker Tanger" <volker.tanger () discon de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:51:46 +0100

Greetings!

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:35:53 -0800 (PST)
Rob Beyman <robbeyman () yahoo com> wrote:

Has anyone used this, and
if so, is it as bad as I think it's going to be or is
it just my prejudice from too much time spent plugging
the holes that the worm of the month exploits showing
through?

I've worked (a lot) with it's direct predecessor (sp?), the MS-Proxy -
including debugging sessions in Microsoft's labs in Munich. And
from what I've seen, the ISA is not really much more that a bit polish
packed over the old internals:

    * port filters on the interfaces
    * stateless packet filter
    * socks proxy with few filter possibilities - that's where they
      claim the "stateful inspection" from
    * HTTP proxy coded as IIS plugin with some URL filtering

Or short: too few, dispersed and incoherent functionality (for a
firewall) on an basis OS that's dragging along too much ballast for what
is needed for a firewall.

So I'd suggest to get a "real" even if basic firewall (software or
appliance) that supplies:
        - simple, reliable software update
        - consistent configuration/management
        - unified logging (e.g. to external, too) that makes log
          evaluation possible

The maintenance cost (i.e. TCO) will be *way* less than maintaining an
ISA properly. You can still use the ISA as proxy (even if there are
better options for that IMHO, too).

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting

PS: This is my personal, subjective opinion, not necessarily the same
    as my employer's.

--

discon gmbh
WrangelstraƟe 100