Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: stop microsoft p2p

From: "Kessler, Ben" <BKessler () chx com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:49:58 -0600

Would "port security" (in Cisco speak) be appropriate here?

You could make the workstation ports "protected" and have only the router port(s) in "not protected" mode  (and port(s)
for your server(s) if appropriate).

I don't have first-hand experience with this but my understanding is that "protected" ports are only allowed to
communicate with non-protected ports in the same VLAN.  So, in this example, all of your workstations would have to go
through the router which could then apply ACLs to restrict traffic.

Here's a link to CCO that might help (long URL, watch the wrap):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f37c.html#xtocid6

HTH,

Ben