Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: stop microsoft p2p

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:03:17 -0500

Robert,

I don't quite understand the topology in question - it seems it must be one
of two ways.

A. Is it like this, where you control LANSwitch?

LANSwitch

    |--Hub-----CPU1

       CPU2

In this case, I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent CPU1
talking to CPU2 across Hub.

B. Or like this, where you control LANSwitch?

LANSwitch
 |     |
 |     |
 CPU1  CPU2

In this case you might use VLAN's or access lists to control CPU1-to-CPU2
communications, depending on the switch involved and other requirements.  In
a more extreme case, you could replace the switch with a firewall, but this
would usually be cost-prohibitive.

-David