Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Home Environment Cisco

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:16:43 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Florin Andrei [mailto:florin () sgi com]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 15:08
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Home Environment Cisco

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 14:23, Noonan, Wesley wrote:
Filtering outbound... stateful inspection... DoS controls in place...
proxy
filtering... SMURF, Flood, Teardrop, Land and exploit prevention, most
of
the ICSA labs requirements... other than that, it sounds great!! :-)

Hmmm... All that in a firewall for a _home_environment_?

Does that home network connect to my business network? Then you bet. Do I
want to protect my home systems from exploit? Yeah, I really do. Maybe I'm
in the minority, but I run a PIX out of my house. Before that I ran GNATBox.
If I didn't run PIX I would likely be a lot more knowledgeable in
IPCHAINS/IPTABLES and my Linux box wouldn't sit around doing so little...

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com