Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Cisco VPN Client "Stateful Firewall (Always On)"

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:10:11 -0400

While the "Stateful Firewall" feature is better than nothing, you probably
have some applications that need to reach out and touch each workstation.

Anti-Virus updates, software distribution and software inventory come to
mind as functions which often use inbound connections to a laptop (or other
work station) from a central system.

While you can do a lot with login scripts, stopping and starting services to
open access sounds a little dangerous.  You would need to confirm that the
registry/ini/service change was successfully undone for each client machine.
If turning off the firewall succeeds but turning on the firewall fails,
you're left with an unprotected system.  Of course, you can probably manage
it remotely at that point, but that's a fairly manual process.

Being in a similar situation (minus the Cisco VPN Client), I've been
evaluating Zone Labs and Symantec* managed personal firewalls.  I'd
recommend either one, with a slight edge to Zone Labs, over "inbound=off,
outbound=on" functionality.  I believe Zone Labs Integrity provides some
integration with Cisco VPN client software.

Good luck.

-David