Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit and Priorities

From: pammann () execomm net (Paul Ammann)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:29:07 -0700

Get yourself on the list of the people notified when new boxes are
built and old ones are retired.  Make yourself helpful enough that
people come to you rather than avoid you.

That's the blessing and curse of the company. The IT dept is 15 people. I
would be reporting to the Director and CIO. They both know security is need,
but they aren't sure where. For example, I know that the company doesn't
collect logs from its UNIX servers, routers, or firewalls. Servers need to
be hardened, but they lack knowledge and skills. Doing a traceroute to their
web site, I can see the firewall and router.