Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit and Priorities

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Paul Ammann wrote:

Hi

I will be starting a new job in the next few weeks. I went to Netcraft and
typed in the company's URL and was amazed by what I saw: the version of
Linux, the version of Apache, the version of OpenSSL... literally everything
about their web servers.

I have a lot of experience with firewalls, but I'll profess my ignorance in
other security areas. So, here are my two questions:

1. What is the best way to block Netcraft from obtain all this information.
Are there Open Source solutions that would be better than commercial
solutions?

Quick answer: Don't put Web servers on the Internet.

Obscurity won't help you much, keep your servers up to date, especially if
they're facing the real world, turn off all the stuff that's not strictly
necessary, and then you won't have to worry too much about banners and/or
fingerprinting.  You can block Netcraft's spidering, but then what about
former employee's resumes, technical support questions, etc?  Well-managed
systems have very small windows of vulnerability, and the more you can
turn off, the smaller that window becomes.

2. The company has acknowledged they are lacking in security. What is the
best method for doing a security audit?

Figure out what's exposed, make sure it's not anything that shouldn't be,
and make sure it's up to date, then ensure that the security policy
matches the needs and wishes of the organization and make sure that it's
being correctly implemented.

Paul