Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: linux firewall

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:06:43 -0400

http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=firewalls

I've deployed both Astaro and Mandrake Single Network Firewall (now defunct, replaced by Multi Network Firewall).
They're both stable, robust systems with nice web management interfaces.  I would not recommend either of these to
someone with no Linux background, however, as troubleshooting will almost certainly require someone to access a bash
prompt, interact with services, and edit files with `vi`.

Also, for those who haven't seen this already, there's an interesting article from SysAdmin about using a halted Linux
kernel as a secure packet filtering firewall.  (http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm)

PaulM