Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OT: Av and Gartner...

From: Yinal Ozkan <Yinal.Ozkan () Integralis Com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:13:26 -0400

There is no black and white when defining how much security is needed. That
is why you should know your assets and their value. Then you should analyze
the threats, risks and the vulnerabilities (and their costs). To justify a
security solution (a.k.a. safeguard) you should be saving something.(things
you saved > money you spent) So after your risk analysis you should be able
to say how  much security is needed. For 25K hosts, I am quite sure that you
will get quite impressive numbers. I may post more data on calculation if
needed.

There is no limit in maximum security. Imagine a museum which has precious
jewels in the main showroom. It is possible that you may hire some guardians
at the main door (firewall) and you may go home (That should be enough, why
are you repeating yourself as posted in another e-mail e.g. " I never
understand"). Or you may hire  additional guardians from a different
security firm just for the showroom (serially connected firewalls from
different vendors). The visitors entering the museum should be scanned in
eitherbound direction even if they have tickets (gateway content security
for authenticated traffic). Not enough? put a scanner for the showroom, and
even one scanner for the display box..You may consider another guardian team
who are specialized in searching the visitors nothing else since only the
visitors are allowed to enter the jewel room (port 80 firewall) Well you
still think that someone may steal your jewels. Pay the money and buy a
sophisticated alarm system (a.k.a intrusion detection). Your alarm system
may either control the perimeter and the halls that lead the your showroom,
or the display case itself. Of course your staff must be trusted (certified
software) and audited. Use trusted sources and have audit as much as you
need it. Hire professional burglars to test your security....

Authentication is another story. You may have factor 1,2,3 .... As long as
you need it.

cheers,
-yinal

p.s. regarding your question about a memory resident thread: Any executable
that may create such a  hole are analyzed at the gateways and the servers
before reaching to the final destination . THere are also anamoly based
scanner. It is not just the files. All host based IDS systems analyze memory
resident applications.