Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HTML Emails and Firewall Security

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Gary Flynn wrote:

Consider if your email to the list was HTML and contained a link to
an image. When read with Microsoft's clients, web clients, and Navigator
in certain configurations, my computer would go fetch the link and
give you my IP address even if I don't reply to your e-mail. If I
forward the message, you'll have a trail of who I forwarded it too.
Nice recon tool in unNATed environments if you're looking for the
desktop IP addresses used by specific individuals or roles.

It used to be worse than that- the server used to be able to get the
client to attempt to send domain authentication information.  I think
this was fixed a while back though.

That said, we have no plans to ban HTML email.

As for desktop IPs, Outlook Express hands them out, if exposing IPs is a
significant issue, then you've likely got bigger problems.  At my last
employer, we had two routable /16's internally- I wasn't all that
concerned about IP address "leakage."

Paul