Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus on a free UN*X (Linux/*BSD) platform

From: Meco <meco1974 () libero it>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:35:35 +0100

I know there are solution to do an antivirus scan on smtp server.
So it would be possible to put an smtp server that is configured to check all the email for virus, ask the user to use it as the smtp server, and configure the corporate mail system to use the smtp/antivirus servervices.

But I would like to do it in a _transparent_ way, because:
1) The mail system in not in house (it is outsourced). I don't want to change this, because we don't have a big IT staff, and don't have time to do system administration a mail system. 2) People in my company are permitted to use their home/email (and I don't want to change this policy), with their po3/imap/smtp services, where they receive personal email & virus. :(

I want a TRANSPARENT antivirus check.
I want to permit user to use their usual pop3/imap/smtp server, and check their mail for virus in a TRANPARENT way. I want the firewall / antivirus to decode the mail application protocol (at minimum smtp, pop3), find attachment in email, and do an antivirus check on them. This kind of stuff can be done with a lot of TRANPARENT http proxy server (M$ ISA, Squid, etc), how can it be done with SMTP?

Best Regards,
                       Meco
PS
Sorry for the poor English, but it is not my naive language.

Josh Welch wrote:

We filter everything that goes through our smtp server, the theory being
that if it goes through our pop3 server it went through our smtp first.
We use MIMEDefang and McAfee's virus engine, but there are others.
Mailscanner was mentioned recently on the list and looks like it does the same type of thing.