Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Acqusition of time

From: Kevin Steves <stevesk () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:48:59 -0800

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:24:00AM +0100, Ben Nagy wrote:
I could maybe be convinced that the "best" behaviour would be to start
marking log entries somehow as soon as NTP sync got lost or the correction
was larger than a few seconds, but I'm not sure it's anywhere near as
serious as losing logging ability. (That said, how many people use PIXes
that log via standard, lossy,  syslog ? ;)

PIX will block if using TCP syslog and the log server dies.  NTP is
fairly new in PIX and I'm not sure if it blocks if it loses NTP
peers/sync.  Seems rather drastic.

Regarding logging, IOS will indicate in logs when logging with
timestamp (I think) whether time is not authoritative and if using NTP
whether it's not synched.  '*' and '.' before the time as I recall.
Don't know offhand if PIX does that.

But then, if you don't log, as discussed in the recent thread that
died, it doesn't matter :)