Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Acqusition of time

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:29:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Brian Monkman wrote:

Ok - so something more specific this time.

We are talking about a firewall farm. We want the time to be sync'ed
between all of the firewalls. Logs go to a central logging server.
Reason for the sync'ing, to ensure that time is accurate across all of
the firewalls in order to facilitate forensics and event correlation.

In your opinion - should we have a battery backed-up clock on these
firewalls or is the network time source sufficient?

If the criterion is that the firewalls be synchronized to some standard,
then I suppose the real issue is what happens if a single firewall is
rebooted and unable to reach either the time server or the logging server
(if it's syslog, you don't even know you didn't get there?)

(UDP-based syslogs were heavily affected by SQL-Slammer for instance.)

Battery back-up helps for the reboot instance, and (potentially, though
not normally) for the timeserver goes down instance.  If there's defined
behaviour for "system rebooted and couldn't reach the timeserver" and it's
materially seperable from "just after midnight," then I don't suppose
there's much of an issue, you can put things back together by deltaing
once you do get reliable time information.

Paul