Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: firewall design (was: RE: terminal services )

From: m p <sumirati () yahoo de>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:55:06 +0100 (CET)

 --- "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com> schrieb:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Noonan, Wesley wrote:

      [SNIP]

I actually disagree here. The issue with slammer/sapphire is precisely that
people didn't patch their machines. Let's review some of the recent
history.

didn't patch their machines and didn;'t heed all the information available
the last time M$-SQL was hit.  Other discussions in various lists the past
few days have folks claiming they had no prior warning that port 1434 was
a point of caution deserving incomong and outgoing blocks.

Anyone who designs a firewall should block all traffic - and build up then a
list of "good" traffic.

Anyone not doing this should not say to much about "I didn't knew it." It shows
that he/she/it does not know enough to do his/her job right.

If they had Microsoft SQL Server running and didn't know the port it opens -
well as I said before - if they don't have a clue, they are working in the
wrong buisness.

Just my 2 euro-cent.

Marc