Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: secure ID token based authentication

From: Prashant Desai <prashant_secret () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:58:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi Andrew

  thanks a lot for all the info , but if could provide
this in more details then it would really help as m
newbiw to all these auth stuff , even some pointers on
this will help , i tried searching google but m not
getting the results which precisely i want to pls send
me some more info in more details

regards
Prashant
--- "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
wrote:
Sure, you can do this a couple of ways.
For Solaris you can install the SD client which
includes a new shell. In
essence, the person invokes the SDshell on login,
and it will prompt for
the passcode. After proper auth, it'll pass them to
their usual shell as
configured in their user account in the ACE server.

I *believe* they have a client for linux, but I'm
not sure.

For Cisco, I recommend going the Tacacs route. Set
up something like
Cisco's Tacacs server, which has support for SecurID
on the back end.
Then, you not only can control log in to the cisco
boxen using securID,
but you can control what commands that particular
user can invoke. You
can also configure the ace server to listen for
tacacs and radius
directly, but I'm not a big fan of this. You loose a
lot of control and
features if you go direct to ACE with tacacs/radius.

Let me know if you'd like more details.
Andy

*Please note, these comments are my own and not that
of my employer*

Andrew J. Kalat,                |
Direct:(404)236-2713
MSS Senior Security Engineer    | Main:
(404)236-2600
Internet Security Systems, Inc. | E-Mail:
akalat () iss net
6303 Barfield Road              | <http://www.iss.net/>
Atlanta, GA 30328                       | PGP key available.