Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DHCP in a corporate MS environment - Security Risk?

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:23:30 -0600

Couple of things.

1) IP addresses don't change in DHCP that often. By design most (and all
DHCP servers I have seen) attempt to hand the same client the same address
all the time. Even if the address becomes available, the DHCP server will
hand out a never used address first.
2) Backup and logs. I don't manage servers anymore but I checked logs daily
so that I could notice trends. Logging is your friend... if you read them
more often than when you have to.
3) There are numerous tools that will parse logs and correlate them. We used
them quite regularly. Some were homegrown and some came from vendors. Also,
centralized logging is your friend.

To be fair, I never had to go back 6 months to track something down for
legal, or other reasons, however at the same time I tended to be able to
spot trends on a daily and weekly basis and act accordingly.

HTH

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com