Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DHCP in a corporate MS environment - Security Risk?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:23:19 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Noonan, Wesley wrote:

Absolutely no doubt in my mind, I have and will continue to use DHCP as much
as I can, provided of course it is technically and logistically feasible. As

I don't like static DHCP for servers because it creates an unnecessary
dependency on a system that's easy to MITM.  For clients, I don't mind at
all.  A lot of it has to do with how the network is structured though- if
it's a small, flat network, then that's not as much of an issue as if the
network's routed and reliant on DHCP helpers to get an answer back before
any attacker might (DoS on a local DHCP server is a different issue.)

I wouldn't manage client addresses manually any more though unless I was
specifically trying to do a specific static addressing/routing/ARP table
thing.

Paul