Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Blocking email through the web services

From: "Chapman, Justin T" <JtChapma () bhi-erc com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:06:02 -0800

Is there a common port I can block that will prevent users from
downloading email from webmail services such as aol, hotmail or msn, used
by all - without blocking www service in general?

One type of protection that I've implemented before is the use of a virus
scanning engine to scan incoming http traffic.  While this doesn't block
access to webmail services per se, it does make these sites one less avenue
for malicious code/virii to enter a network.  Checkpoint has Content
Vectoring Protocol capabilities, which reroutes certain incoming traffic (ie
port 80, 21, etc) to your AV server before passing it on to the client.  If
you're less concerned with people reading personal email than the potential
threat of viruses bypassing your mail relay/email AV system, it may be a
good option.

More information is here:

http://www.opsec.com/intro/sdk_overview.html#cvp

--justin