Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: MTU issue routing traffic via Cisco GRE tunnel to Nokia/Check Point firewall

From: Eric Vyncke <evyncke () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:03:02 +0100

Late reply... sorry about it.

It looks like you are experimenting a Path MTU Discovery issue. As it is quite possible that firewalls (or even a load
balancers somewhere -- like in Yahoo) simply drop the required ICMP messages.

The simple solutions are:
- - use 'ip tcp adjust-mss 1400' on a router seeing traffic in the clear to force MSS to 1400 so IP datagram size to
1420 (of course 1400 is just a guess), this will cover all TCP traffic
- - set 'ip mtu 1500' on the GRE tunnel interface (yes 1500 bytes)

The latter will also work for non TCP traffic. So, you probably need both.

Of course, the 'clean' solution is to let the ICMP unreachable too big messages go through.

Reasoning:
- - GRE encapsulation clears the DF bit UNLESS 'tunnel path-mtu-discovery' is set on the tunnel interface (if turned on
the tunnel MTU will be dynamically adjusted upon receipt of ICMP)
- - IPsec encapsulation copies the DF and adjusts the path MTU upon receipt of ICMP UNLESS 'crypto ipsec df-bit
clear/set' is configured in the crypto map
- - router will fragment when forwarding to any interface whose MTU is smaller than the received IP packet. This
happens often when forwarding to a GRE tunnel whose MTU is 1476 per default...

The last point forces the router to drop all 1500-bytes packets and to send an ICMP message when a DF packet is
received.

Hope it helps

- -eric