Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewalls v. Router ACLs

From: MHawkins () TULLIB COM
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:46:01 -0500

hi there,

It is important to remember to turn off console logging and do not log all
your ACL entries.

If you do leave console logging on, you can cause the console port to
overflow and also, on Cisco routers, every console character is a processor
interrupt. So thousands of ACL logs per second can ratchet your processor
utilization up higher enough to make it almost useless.

Having said that, ACL's on most routers are easily capable of dropping at
high rates. The ACL is generally applied to the actual physical interface
which means that the packets can be dropped in hardware (PLC chips or
other). In my experience, ACL's can and do regularly outperform any software
router such as CheckPoint.

But, CheckPoint AI and NG have far superior higher level packet inspection
than ACL's (which have none). CheckPoints MAD (malicious activity detection
now called smartdefense) is far superior to Cisco's PIX. CheckPoint has
implemented protection against many more attacks than the PIX (yes PIX does
protect against several). But CheckPoint kicks in when you start looking at
their WORM catcher which is fully programmable by the user. And further,
when you enable http header detection you can start blocking and controlling
Kazaa, IM and others very well indeed.

But you gotta ask yourself, am I using these firewalls to protect against
those threats.

I note, that none of the preceeding emails on this topic make mention of the
risk analysis that you should be doing as part of your decision making
process.

Your risk analysis would have to include examining the assets that you are
protecting and examining the expected threats. Determine the qualitative and
quantitative costs that would be incurred if your threats were to compromise
your systems (and by what methods) and determine how much money you are
willing to apply to the security problem in order to protect your assets
from those threats.

I would suggest that if you examine the threats that are likely to exist and
"attack" your network from WITHIN your Company (ie: but on the other side of
your firewall) then ACL's will do the job very nicely indeed.

First, they provide basic user (host or network) restrictions on where they
can get to inside your network.
Second, they provide protection against worms and other unknown attacks from
new virii by applying the no access except what I permit paradigm.

They don't provide all the fancy client VPN, client authentication, specific
worm catching etc of higher end firewalls but you don't need that anyway.

One note, if this firewall connects to the Internet then keep it. ACL's are
NOT enough to protect from the threats that exist on the Internet.

Mike H