Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls v. Router ACLs

From: pedski <pedski () optonline net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:15:10 -0500

i have to agreee on the acl...with are doing the acl with router very succesfull....the firewall in your swan ement complicate your enviroment......

you will save money and yes the routers can handle it...as a fact the router in my enviroment are proctecting the checkpoint on nokia because the checkpoint can't handle the worm blocking..

we have about 15,000 users and yes we were hit hard by the virus ...we contained it with acl

WhiteHat () btclick com wrote:

Hi All,

I hope this is the appropriate forum for my question, and I apologise if not but I am looking for information and would appreciate any help.

I currently work for a department in a large company. Our department has always used firewalls (CheckPoint on Nokia) to protect our part of the network from network worms and other 'nasty stuff' on the rest of the network. Our view is that this 'segmentation' makes it easier to contain any infection. This strategy has been almost 100% successful and we have not been impacted by the numerous network-borne worms etc. over the years.

We are now being pressurised to remove the firewalls by the rest of the company. The argument is that using well defined ACLs (with a default 'deny all' statement at the end) on the the Cisco WAN routers would have the same effect as the current firewalls. A secondary argument is cost - the router is seen as a one-off purchase while the Checkpoint software has an annual licence cost. I am trying to gather evidence of the pros and cons of this approach.

In particular, I am concerned about:
- performance - will the routers be able to manage this as they are designed to route traffic, not stop it?
- logging - what would be the best way to consolidate the router logs for analysis etc.?
- incident management - if a router is being hammered by a network worm (e.g. MSBlaster/LovSan), how easy will it be to manage to make any emergency changes necessary? Won't it be so busy dropping packets it becomes impossible to make the change? - future capability - I see the AI-type technologies evolving in firewalls as providing a useful IPS-type functionality in the future. This will allow more open rule sets but automated protection if things go wrong. Has anyone successfully implemented this yet? Can this be enough justification to keep the firewalls?

Does anyone know of any case studies or horror stories of organisations that have attempted this?
Has anyone had success doing this that they would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
        Richard