Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OSPF on Firewall

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:45:22 -0600

Depending on the firewall in question, this is correct. The key is whether
your firewall supports multicast/broadcast traffic to pass. For example, the
PIX doesn't.

You *can* install OSFP on the firewall if you want to, just make sure that
you harden it accordingly. If you are using OSPF authentication on a purely
internal network and preventing it from running on any external interfaces I
actually see very little downside in this, but that is just me. I like
simplicity of the solution. Plus, being a Cisco guy, this is what I have to
do with their firewalls anyway.

The other alternative is to treat your routing traffic just like any other
traffic (with above caveat noted). Basically create ACLs to permit the
traffic and then create whatever internal associations that will allow the
traffic to be passed by the firewall.

Here is an example of how to pass BGP (I know you wanted OSPF, but the PIX
won't do that) through a PIX firewall:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_configuration_exampl
e09186a008009487d.shtml

Good luck.