Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OSPF on Firewall

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:09:01 -0500

Shimon Silberschlag wrote:
Lets say that I have two routers (on an internal network) that talk OSPF
between them.

Now I have to insert a firewall in-between the two routers.

I am led to believe (by the Communications people I work with) that there is
no other option but to install OSPF on the firewall, which doesn't make me
feel easy about the solution.

Is it true that there is no other way around this problem?

One would assume a bridging firewall would pass the traffic
but I'd check with the vendor. I installed an eval inline
IDP box in a similar configuration a while ago and the link
wouldn't come up due to OSPF not being passed...even with
no rules applied. The vendor had to make a custom change
to their underlying bridging configuration to get it to work.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services