Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off Topic: 802.11 Dongles

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:50:28 -0700

TSimons () Delphi-Tech com wrote:

This is a little off topic, but something that could benifit all...  Our
laptop users are pushing for wireless, we'd rather not have to support every
dongle thats out there.  We're thinking compromize, we buy the dongle and
set it up, the end user matches the WEP setting on their WAP.
I'm not sure what you mean by "dongle", other than "brand of WiFi card" perhaps?

In any case, WEP is useless; easy to crack.

What we deployed:

   * put the WAP outside the firewall, on its own subnet where it can't
     sniff DMZ traffic
   * no WEP
   * casual drive-by users can access the internet, but only have about
     as much leverage on our LAN as Internet users in Bombay
   * for access to internal LAN services, make the wireless users use a
     VPN, just like remote users do

This network architecture seems to surprise a lot of people, who keep wishing for a level 2 security solution that will work. Conversely, I've always been surprised at the desire for level 2 security: I always act as if the attacker is clamped to my personal ethernet port, and only send encrypted traffic if it matters at all. Use level 3 crypto if it matters.

Of course, that does raise a problem that we haven't solved: what is a good VPN/IPSec solution that works for both Windows and Linux clients? I know, FreeSWAN, but it's flaky, and taking up a lot of our admin's time trying to debug it.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com