Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HTML Emails and Firewall Security

From: "Victoria of Borg" <vicofborg () myrealbox com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:43:11 -0500

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Ron Suarez wrote:

I'm curious how many of you also see this as a threat to your network and
also filter out html emails?

Heck yeah!  And I'm not even running Outlook/Exchange.  I have a Novell
GroupWise 5.5 (soon to be 6.5) environment at the moment, and HTML e-mails
are currently rendered in the Local Machine zone.  Evil, evil stuff.  If I
could get away with banning all HTML e-mail I'd do it.  But I can't.
Novell is lucky that a worm hasn't been developed to exploit this little
bug.

GroupWise versions 5.5 and 6.0 both view the HTML-part of a message if it
has a choice between a plain-text and html component.  GW6.5 apparently
has a way to set it to view the plain-text part, which is what I'll be
doing once we get it.  I haven't played with the new stuff long enough to
know what zone the HTML content is rendered in.

I am also seeing more and more B2B marketing departments send html email
(eNewsletters) as part of their strategy. I'm thinking that their emails
aren't being received properly by their clients or received at all.

Like me.  I have a rule that shunts all internet-originated e-mail with
html-tags in it to a special folder.  If I decide to read it, I'll View
the attachment-list and read the mail-source if I have to.  And if I can't
see any content around all the HTML gark, I just don't read it.  Some
newsletters do include a plain-text component which I'll read, but that is
becoming more and more rare.

The "Jen" of Generation "Z".  Your children will be assimilated.