Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:36:44 -0400

In message <3E961989.3010809 () wirex com>, Crispin Cowan writes:
Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

This is an intellectually stimulating discussion for us, I'm sure, but basica
lly
it's going to go around in circles for ever. Because software and the pressur
es
on the software industry are complex and interdependent. You literally cannot
point at one spot and say "THERE'S THE PROBLEM!" - if it was that easy,
don't you think it would have been fixed a long time ago??  In fact, in order
have significant improvement in software quality (and therefore security)

I can point a finger :-) *The* problem is that "software engineering" is
not actually an engineering discipline, it is a black art. Software
development is not repeatable, not predictable, not manageable, and
depends critically on key individuals. This is an art form.

Anyone who hasn't yet read "The Mythical Man Month", by Fred Brooks,
*run do not walk* to your nearest bookstore and get a copy.

Brooks wrote that book based on his experiences as the manager of,
first, IBM's System/360 mainframes -- which was a management success,
and whose architecture is still with us, for the most part -- and then
of OS/360, which Brooks himself has described as a failure.  He wrote
the book partly to answer the question of "why" -- why did he (and
everyone else) find software project management very much harder than
any other sort.  (In my graduate school career, I had Brooks as a
professor for four different courses.  He's been a tremendous influence
on my career.  And I still find myself turning to Mythical Man Month
for citations to all sorts of things, such as the bug rate in patches
vs. original code.)