Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RFC3514 - Evil Bit

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:39:36 -0400

In message <Pine.LNX.4.33.0304082050140.21230-100000 () gargoyle users patriot net

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:18:27 -0500
            ^[1]

    How will the "evil bit" be manipulated to detected MALWARE directed
    at firewalls?  ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3514.txt

Only one vendor has announced compliance, and AFAICT, the deadline for
their release hasn't been reached yet.  Also, there wasn't a mention of
complying with the NAT provisions.

What I think needs to happen is that you need to attend the working group
session on the first anniversary to lobby for its implementation.  Since
it's obviously good enough for a standards track, maybe we'll see some
significant official support by then...[2]

I've gotten some amazing responses, with not a few from people who took
it seriously.  See http://www.research.att.com/~smb/3514.html for a
summary.