Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RFC3514 - Evil Bit

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:04:28 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 17:18:27 -0500
             ^[1]

    How will the "evil bit" be manipulated to detected MALWARE directed
    at firewalls?  ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3514.txt

Only one vendor has announced compliance, and AFAICT, the deadline for
their release hasn't been reached yet.  Also, there wasn't a mention of
complying with the NAT provisions.

What I think needs to happen is that you need to attend the working group
session on the first anniversary to lobby for its implementation.  Since
it's obviously good enough for a standards track, maybe we'll see some
significant official support by then...[2]

Paul
[1] It's really bad to drag the April Fools RFC out past the first.  It's
been a long week already though, so if we get some witty replies, I'll
approve them.
[2] I am actually hoping that the nmap patches get added as the default,
just for amusement value, maybe it's time to code up an Ethereal patch...